Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Cake




I remember looking at someones blog, I can't remember who's. They were complaining that they needed to get their cake layers more even and I was thinking to myself, Blogger dude, you're way too OCD. It looks good to me! Now here I am in the same boat. I want beautiful even layers too. While chocolate ganache covers a lot of mistakes we can improve with a tweek here and there.
I followed Paku Paku's strawberry Kake recipe here ttp://www.pakupaku.info/sweets/strawberrykake.shtml
with a few exceptions. I didn't have any black currant liqueur so I used Acai juice from Bosa Nova (wont' do that again, don't like the color) and I used a heaping cup of frozen blended strawberries instead of jam.
http://www.wabashfeed.com/index.htm
I used a charming cherry butter from the Wabash Feed Store for the layers and I put some in the ganache frosting as well. The frosting is one package of vegan choco-chips with 1/4 cup canola oil, 1/3 cup soy milk, warmed with 1/4 cup cherry butter, and a tablespoon vanilla. Warm up that milk, pour it over the chips, wait a minute and then stir it all together with the oil. When it is at a spreadable temp (slightly above room temp), and the cake is nice and cool you can spread it with a hot dry knife.


Here's the movable feast I took to my chief tester. He said it better be low-fat cause it's going to take him one day to eat it. I think that's a compliment.

No comments: