Casseroles are hearty and satifying. They are great for both families and singles . Make one a little bigger than you need and later when someone needs a quick bite they can heat up one serving at a time instead of getting the whole kitchen dirty. Singles can make this in a loaf pan and use only 1/2 a sqaush. I'll show you what to do with the other half in my next post. This recipe is very nice and easy to make and will be even better when we tweak it. I will slice the apples with a mandoline and use less fake blue cheese. I've also thought about adding rosemary and cherries or grapes. The old man can't get enough of this one. Everytime I open the fridge he's swipped another piece.
You will need:
1 big Butternut Sqaush
3 tablespoons of fake butter
1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon, cardomom, allspice and salt
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup almonds, walnuts or pecans, chopped
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 squares of Fermented Tofu Cheese
1. Slice your butternut squash in half lenthwise and put face down on a cookie sheet. We use wax paper sheets in my house or we just spray the pan with a little oil. Put these in the oven on 350 until they are soft throughout.
2. Dig the meat out of the squash and mash it together with the spices. It doesn't have to be perfect.
5. Slice the apple, dipping each slice lemon or lime juice on both sides to keep it from browning. (This is a good way to use less than perfect looking organic apples). Use a mandoline if you can or just try to get some nice even slices, not like I did here.
6. Place the apples on top in a pretty pattern.
7. Sprinkle nuts and brown sugar liberally.
8. Bake it untill bubbly and hot in the middle.